Friday, February 8, 2013

Newsletter #2

Well, another cycle of Sit. Write. Bleed has come and gone, and as I did in January, I am collecting it all up for your reading and listening pleasure. In case you missed the past few weeks, don't worry: everything is right here.

A recent post entitled "Sit down, shut up, and WRITE!" was centered on actually sitting down and getting your work done, and offers a good deal of advice based on my own personal experiences. There was a great response to the article, so if you haven't had a chance to read it, you can do so by clicking HERE.

What followed was the second installment of "I Love...", where I expounded on my admiration and respect for my favorite living author, RA Salvatore, creator of the legendary Drizzt Do'Urdon. You can check that article out by clicking HERE.

Finally, Sit. Write. Bleed. presented a very entertaining and informative (also so-NSFW) interview with noted urban-fantasy author and overall kick-ass writer John Hartness. Check it out HERE.

So, some quick news-- I recently finished a short story called A Breath Beneath, which is a Heroic High-Fantasy tragedy about two star-crossed lovers set on two sides of a war over souls. It was a lot of fun to write, and it will be up for critique tomorrow (Saturday, 2/9) at Charlotte Writers, a writing group that I organize in the Charlotte area. I have gotten one review back so far and it was stellar, so I am really hoping for some more goodness from the larger group. And even if there isn't good news, it will definitely be an opportunity to learn, which in the end will make me a better writer. I also finished re-writing a story some publications "encouragingly" (I will explain later) rejected back in August, and I will be sending it back out soon. I needed to step away from it for a while and work on other things, so it was interesting to see it with fresh eyes and the advice of editors in my head as I went. It is called The Beast of Shallow Bay, which is a Sword and Sorcery tale that involves pirates, underwater monsters, and a dark temple beneath the waves.

After that I am going to begin work on Stout, which is a follow-up to Paper Demons, a Sword and Sorcery short which follows the exploits of Jishnu the Srijati. That one should be interesting, as it will be my first attempt at writing humor. Wish me luck on that one!

The next few weeks are going to be pretty exciting here on Sit. Write. Bleed.! Following this newsletter, next's Friday's post will feature an article on characters and my method of creating them, as I will be breaking down examples both from classical fantasy sources as well as using one my own characters. I hope the readers get something positive out of it.

After that, we will have another interview with an author and another installment of "I Love...", which will be focused on my sincere admiration for BEER!

Until then, my brothers and sisters, stay safe!

1 comment:

  1. Checking out some past writes. This newsletter is a great idea! Good luck on your continued progress and future success!

    ReplyDelete