Sunday, March 3, 2013

I Love Beer

Sorry this is so late! I just got out of the car here in Baltimore, Maryland, and the last few days have really just been a blur of one road trip to another. Just some quick news: there will not be a newsletter this month, and instead we will have two author interviews! Hopefully those will be up in the next few weeks, as I have some really amazing guests in March and the coolest guest in the world in April!

This is a very different edition of "I Love...", because in a sense it has nothing to do with writing, but on the other it does. This article is focused on the grandest elixir, a divine mixture of good water, grain, yeast, and sometimes some hops (but not too much!)

My friends, today I would like to talk to you about my love of Beer.

I like my beer like I like my women: dark and full-bodied

Let me be clear: If your goal for the week involves drinking to get drunk, then you are failing to indulge yourself in one of mankind's greatest achievements. Drunkenness cannot replace appreciation, but appreciation that may result in drunkenness is a wholly different animal. Also allow me to assure readers out there that beer is not my only libation of love, but single-malt scotch whiskey is a very very close second.

Beer to me is one of the keystones of human culture, a concoction that sits on the same shelf as storytelling. There are five things that span all human cultures: War, Love, Storytelling, Religion, and Drink. We all have something like that in our specific societies. Arabs have their coffee, Scots have whiskey, Germans have beer, and Africans have their honey-wine. Beer is the representation of all good things within the human soul, but like all things, it must be drank in moderation, because sometimes too much soul is too much soul.

This is going to be a short article, because A) beer is in the eye of the beholder, and B) I can't describe to you the taste of my favorite beers. But, I like beers darker and more spiced, usually around 7-9.5% ABV, and I am huge supporter of the craft beer movement. No Budweiser, no Coors, no Miller, and it is getting to the point of no on New Belgium.

So you are probably asking:

JAY, what does BEER have to do with writing?

Well, my friends and family, you have to think of beer as a story: Beer has everything that a good story has: an attractive visual, a pleasurable beginning, a powerful tasty middle, and a ending aftertaste that makes the reader want to come back for more. Beer can be looked at as a story of the people who brew it, the people who drink it, and the people who have it while they are writing. I often drink a beer while I am writing, because it keeps me focused on a certain aspect on my story. It is also a combination of a place, time, and environment-- what does this sound like? A beer is a setting.

Everything in life has the ability to teach you something about storytelling. Beer is life fermented into a beautiful liquid that captures the very essence of life, and life is what we need to put into our stories.

This love of beer has also caused me to look at other things in life in terms of how I might tell a story, and when one starts to think this way, it orients the writer to see the world in a way that only adds to their greater creative processes.

Or it is just a beer.

You can follow me on Twitter @JayRequard or if you like what you just read, you can press the "G+1" button at the top right of the page

Stay safe!

1 comment:

  1. I'd have a beer with you, but it 6am so I'm having Irish coffee. I like the article linking drinking to writing without the sterotypical alcoholic writer.

    ReplyDelete