Friday, January 3, 2014

Dreams, Ambitions, and Corey Taylor

So recently I had a freak-out where I almost quit writing. Yes, I was willing to go that far. It took a pair of friends who are near and dear to me to walk me back from the ledge, but it got me to really think about whether or not this dream I have of making it as an author is even worthwhile. And then I fell upon these two videos featuring one of my favorite singers, Corey Taylor of Slipknot and Stone Sour fame, talking about the difference between doing what you "love" and doing what you are "good" at. If you would indulge me, take some time to watch them, as they are applicable to any form of creative expression, and then join me at the bottom.



So why, might you ask, am I posting these videos?

I often forget how I came into writing and how long I really tried fighting wanting to do it, and I really believe if I remembered this more often, I wouldn't have the mini-breakdowns I often do about what I am writing. It is somewhat like the lesson in the Gita: we must love what we are doing, not love what we want to be good at. Want leads to suffering, but for all the writers out there that are going "but...but...but... I'M CREATIVE! SCREW YOU, MR. REQUARD!"

Yes, creativity is good, but creativity by itself won't make you good. If you want to be good at it, then you have to work at writing for the *sake* of writing. It may take longer for some than others, but if you work for the sake of it, you will go from being creative to being good, and from being good to one day being great.

It's about work.

Happy 2014

Stay safe, and remember, if you liked what you read here please take the time to press the +1 button to the left or at the bottom of this post. Doing so gets me higher on Google searches, and I promise you it is the last bit of promotion I will do for this blog. Unless, you know.... book or something.

3 comments:

  1. I've been wrestling with a similar dilemma myself. Not *if* I should write but just what are my ambitions for it - should it be a hobby or not. It's hard to look at myself rationally and realize I am not at the same point others are around me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this, Jay. Some interesting thoughts from Corey. He spins things up. This is probably the first time I've hear someone NOT encourage people to simply follow their passion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Andrew,

    I'm glad you liked it. I certainly did.

    ReplyDelete